Talking to Casira on USS Athena
: Posted by Ensign S’Raal Cran Moonshadow (Doctor) in Talking to Casira
: : Posted by Lt. Cmdr. Casira Meu (Helm/Science) in Talking to Casira
: : <Snip>
: : : : Nothing was certain, save for the uncertainty of the situation. After her experiences with trusted friends back home there was of course no way that Casira could risk blindly trusting the fanciful stories of an unknown Ensign simply on his own hearsay. Perhaps he was being entirely truthful, but to simply believe without evidence could well put her in significant danger. No, trust had to be earned.
: : : :
: : : : But he had said one thing of great interest to her, one thing which, if he were hiding some kind of ulterior motive, would be a huge mistake on his part. He had gotten the Captain involved. Of all the crewmembers on board the Athena, Ghubari was perhaps the one figure whom Casira at least partially trusted. Their conversation in the holodeck just a few days ago had been very open and honest, and while the Caitian still had many reservations, she did very much respect that the other woman had approached her without any preconceptions and prior judgements. This Ensign had stated that part of his intent for speaking to Casira was to assist with the CO's prosthesis, which meant that the Captain would be involved to some degree in the proceedings and deliberations. Perhaps S'Raal's motives were indeed pure and everything he said was true, in which case all would go well and there would be few issues. But if it turned out that something was amiss and danger revealed itself, then maybe Casira would have an ally tied into the situation to whom she could turn for assistance if required. By no means a certainty in any sense of the word, but it did perhaps add just a little weight to the variables and equations flittering through her mind.
: : : :
: : : : "Thank you for your warnings, Ensign...?" she paused, fixing him with a questioning look as she awaited his supplying of the requested information.
: : :
: : : S'Raal's eyes widened and then the realisation dawned on him... throughout his entire impassioned speech he had never introduced himself. He couldn't help but laugh at himself and motioned to Casira to bear with him for a second. He collected himself and bowed slightly his tail in his hand "My name is S'Raal Cran Moonshadow."
: : :
: : : : After his response, she continued as if she had never been interrupted: "I will give you any assistance I am able to provide with regard to your work for the Captain. As to the rest...we shall have to see how events transpire. I hope you will understand."
: : : :
: : : : ~Casira
: : :
: : : S'Raal nodded "I understand" he said simply. "The "other" issues are something I cannot say more about until Stark resurfaces or we find another source of information. I feel compelled to add that in helping the Captain I will learn more about your systems in the process. I leave it to you to limit my access to this information or to share it at your discretion. I would at a later date like to discuss with you the wider use of these technologies from a medical standpoint to help others including myself. However I would not do so without your authority."
: : Again the atmosphere in the small room seemed to chill a little at the suggestions S'Raal aired, but Casira made no response...
: : : S'Raal paused and then continued "I realise that you only have my word which means little at this time. I hope that will change in time. A major question that needs to be addressed is the "patent" for your technologies. Those that wish to use your technological enhancements believe that there is a loophole to be exploited there. I'll leave you to think about that but in the meantime can we make a time to talk about the plans for a neural interface for a prosthesis for the Captain?"
: : :
: : : Ensign S'Raal - Doctor
: : "You assume that these technologies are my own?" Casira retorted blankly. "I did not invent the systems myself Ensign, I have no claim to ownership beyond the fact that they are a part of my physical form. Neither am I an Engineer - I have an understanding as to how they function, but no skill or talent with regard to their build or repair. One can fully comprehend musical theory, but without skill at actually playing an instrument their knowledge is of limited value." She inclined her head slightly. "As stated I will give you any assistance I am able, however inquiries of the type you raise would perhaps be better aimed at Starfleet Research and Development or other such sources."
: S'Raal frowned "I assumed, which I'm aware is always a bad idea, that someone on board must be involved in maintaining your systems and again... assuming that because you are a very private person that you would probably do the maintainance as much yourself as possible. Was I incorrect in those two assumptions?"
"What relevance does maintenance have with regard to initial patent?" the female Caitian responded immediately (bluntly refusing to answer his inquiry in the process, although thanks to her logical line of reasoning the refusal would likely pass unnoticed to the other party). "As the Humans would say, just because a Chief Engineer works on a warp core does not mean they must automatically be Zephram Cochraine. I say again: While I have an understanding of the systems involved I did not invent them, so any question of patent must be directed at those who did."
: : "As to an appointment with regard to the Captain, I have an opening in my schedule at 1800 hours tomorrow. Would this be acceptable?"
: : ~Casira
: S'Raal replied promptly "Unfortunately not, not due to time but due to the fact that I do not want to involve the Captain again until we have something to show for our efforts. I feel the less we involve her directly the better until we have at least a prototype to show her and something to begin testing with. The Captain appears to me, and again I'm assuming, to be very reticent in talking about her mobility issues. The Chief has some theories regarding a synthetic polymer which could be used as a basis to bridge the humanoid machine neural interface. 1800 hours tomorrow would be a good time to meet and tell you exactly what we're trying to design so that you can give your input as a scientist. I'm assuming that you will understand my unwillingness to bother the Captain when I believe the subject itself is painful for her."
Now Casira was really beginning to get suspicious. She had said nothing of including the CO in their discussion the following day, only that they could meet 'with regard to the Captain' and discuss matters relating to the woman's prosthesis. The fact that S'Raal had jumped to such a conclusion without any instigation from herself suggested he had the topic on his mind already, and his seemingly hurried and uncomfortable dismissal of the prospect made him appear distasteful of the whole affair. Why would the suggestion unsettle him so much that he would bring it up and dismiss it all on his own, when she had said nothing of the sort?
: S'Raal paused and smiled "Four assumptions in three minutes, a new record. However I'm sure you have better things to do with your time... make that five assumptions. 1800 hours where Lt Commander?"
: S'Raal watched carefully without guile. He was interested to see what reaction his diatribe would produce. He knew he had a tendency to ramble, but he had also discovered that someones reaction to him was always enlightening in one way or another. He'd given up trying to make people happy a few years back and if Stark's stories and the Chief's reaction to involving Casira was anything to go by, making this Caitian happy was going to be light years harder than most if not impossible... "oops six assumptions" he thought.
: S'Raal - Doctor
Under normal circumstances she would have suggested her own quarters for the meeting. Certainly given the topics to be discussed she would prefer a private venue. However given S'Raal's slip up and her increasing suspicions, she was actually inclined to calculate that in this instance a more public setting might be a better idea. Not that it was likely the Ensign would try anything so soon after their initial meeting - whatever his gameplan was, an attempt at blackmail or betrayal would be more expected at this early stage. But still, it would be wise not to give him any undue opportunity or ideas of which he might be tempted to take advantage.
"The lounge." she replied simply. "I will arrive early and find a table."
- 2013 May 13 - 11:43amLt. Cmdr. R'han (Chief Tactical Officer)
- 2013 May 13 - 12:50pmGamemaster Chiasm (Gamemaster)
- 2013 May 13 - 3:24pmLieutenant Konral Vander (Chief of Security)
- 2013 May 13 - 4:33pmLieutenant Konral Vander (Chief of Security)
- 2013 May 15 - 12:58pmLieut (j.g.) Sito Lyra (Chief Engineer)
- 2013 May 15 - 1:30pmLieutenant Konral Vander (Chief of Security)
- 2013 May 15 - 2:12pmLieut (j.g.) Sito Lyra (Chief Engineer)
- 2013 May 15 - 2:33pmLieutenant Konral Vander (Chief of Security)
- 2013 May 15 - 9:08pmLieut (j.g.) Sito Lyra (Chief Engineer)
- 2013 May 16 - 2:34pmLieutenant Konral Vander (Chief of Security)
- 2013 May 13 - 4:34pmLieutenant Konral Vander (Chief of Security)
- 2013 May 13 - 5:42pmCaptain Ghubari Koraia (CO)
- 2013 May 15 - 12:53pmLieut (j.g.) Sito Lyra (Chief Engineer)
- 2013 May 14 - 7:10amLt. Cmdr. Stark Nightstalker (Chief Intelligence Officer)
- 2013 May 14 - 2:18pmGamemaster Chiasm (Gamemaster)
- 2013 May 14 - 3:39pmCaptain Ghubari Koraia (CO)
- 2013 May 15 - 9:29amLieutenant Dominic Hertz (Intelligence Officer)
- 2013 May 16 - 3:36amLieut (j.g.) Kallen Reese (Jr. CNS)
- 2013 May 15 - 5:33pmCaptain Ghubari Koraia (CO)
- 2013 May 15 - 5:54pmLieutenant Gren Aullar (Chief Science Officer)
- 2013 May 16 - 9:27amCaptain Ghubari Koraia (CO)
- 2013 May 16 - 9:42amSteve Sims
- 2013 May 16 - 1:33pmLieutenant Gren Aullar (Chief Science Officer)
- 2013 May 16 - 2:06pmLieut (j.g.) Sito Lyra (Chief Engineer)
- 2013 May 17 - 7:57amLieutenant Dominic Hertz (Intelligence Officer)
- 2013 May 16 - 9:44amEnsign L'sscha (Scientist)
- 2013 May 16 - 9:51amEnsign L'sscha (Scientist)
- 2013 May 17 - 10:01amLt. Cmdr. Stark Nightstalker (Chief Intelligence Officer)
- 2013 May 17 - 10:31amEnsign L'sscha (Scientist)
- 2013 May 18 - 12:17amLieut (j.g.) S’Raal Cran Moonshadow (Chief Medical Officer)
- 2013 May 18 - 1:59amEnsign L'sscha (Scientist)
- 2013 May 19 - 8:11amLieut (j.g.) S’Raal Cran Moonshadow (Chief Medical Officer)
- 2013 May 19 - 8:41pmEnsign L'sscha (Scientist)
- 2013 May 16 - 9:53amEnsign L'sscha (Scientist)
- 2013 May 19 - 7:28amLieut (j.g.) Kallen Reese (Jr. CNS)
- 2013 May 19 - 7:38amEnsign L'sscha (Scientist)
- 2013 May 18 - 11:37pmEnsign L'sscha (Scientist)
- 2013 May 19 - 8:21amLieut (j.g.) S’Raal Cran Moonshadow (Chief Medical Officer)
- 2013 May 19 - 10:31pmEnsign L'sscha (Scientist)