Ship/Board Resource Pages
As I have just raised in the Command Ship, the Oed V charter requires "The Governor of Oed or his appointed authority is required to maintain a resource page regarding the colony." The current resource page/s are static and external to the core WeBBSpace operating software. They also have a different 'feel' to them to the WeBBspace software. Go here http://www.star-fleet.com/stf6/oedv/ to see what I mean. See what I mean about a different 'feel'. :)
The process for updating them involves me coding the pages, submitting them to the IDept, the IDept uploading them (and auditing them as they are currently php) and then making sure they work properly. Part of what I'm intending to do with the resource page/s is making them html rather than php so to take the audit part of the process out of the equation ... (and hopefully giving the IDept staff the opportunity to work on other issues that will provide assistance to the club). Besides ... I understand html/xhtml more so than I understand PHP. :)
I am wondering whether these page/s can somehow be incorporated better into the WeBBspace system. ie the layout of WeBBSpace etc to make the link between the Oed V Resource page and STF clearer, and to help with the presentation of STF to the wider web. This would also (hopefully) make the job of updating the resource page easier and shorter as the IDept won't be needed to upload the pages. There are forms currently inherent in the resource page/s that enable people to ask for more information, make suggestions to improve the pages, throw bricks or bouquets and so forth. I understand from what Larry has said in the past that these require PHP.
Please note! In my questions here, I am trying to work out how to achieve what is best for Oed V, what is best for the club and what is easiest for the IDept/Coder. :) If what I am asking is beyond what is capable at the moment and/or the easiest thing for the club/IDept/Coder is for the pages to largely remain as they are ... that is fine as well. :) I'm just trying to gather the information at the moment (so that I can meet the requirements on me as indicated at . :)
- Is there the capability in WeBBSpace for these page/s to be better incorporated?
- If so, how much space/pages would be available ... at the moment, the resource page/s are broken up into several pages ... I'm not so sure that all of these pages are exactly necessary any more?
- If so, would it be restricted to a single maintainer as in the Fleet Pages or would more than one person be able to have access to maintaining it?
- If not, would it best for me to maintain the 'feel' of the resource pages with that of the WeBBspace system? ie the common links across the top, panels down the left hand side, that starfield background etc? (And if so, how would I do that? As I said, my knowledge of XHTML/HTML/CSS is better than my knowledge of PHP ... but it is not world class
- In any case, can forms be still incorporated into the design?
Thanks for your advice/suggestions/thoughts :)