***THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION IS CLASSIFIED FOR ARU-ALPHA-01 LEVEL PERSONNEL OR HIGHER ONLY***
“Keep Calm and Contain”
This directive issued on [REDACTED] 2301, by order of Rear Admiral Vincent T. Jansson
The Anomaly Recovery Unit (ARU) is a Top Secret Starfleet division, tasked with the recovery, containment and study of those entities classified as 'space anomalies', with the purpose of protecting other Federation vessels and also nearby civilian populations from the anomalies powers or effects.
Ongoing exploration missions by Federation flagships not only increased the Federation's borders and area of influence, but also made their existence known to a multitude of species, not all of whom have been hospitable. Indeed, as the number and frequency of attacks on Federation vessels, by previously unknown or unmanaged anomalies, increased, it became necessary to withold this information from UFP members at large in an effort to protect current and future exploration events. However, without sufficient means to capture, or even study, these anomalies, it was only possible to establish localised quarantine zones in the hope that other passing ships would avoid the area.
This tactic proved to be ineffective.
Thus, the Anomaly Recovery Unit was created and funded from a black budget, reappropriated from various legitimate Federation workstreams. Currently there are a total of seventeen starships, of various class and size, commanded by ARU personnel. The names and registries of these vessels is classified at level ARU-GAMMA-05 on a strictly need-to-know basis. Cross-ship communications are forbidden as per the terms of ARU-directive [REDACTED] and all reporting is made via ARU central command, headquartered on Starbase 237, in the [REDACTED] area of Federation space.
When I first had this crazy idea for a Starfleet vessel that tracked down and captured weird and mysterious creatures, I didn't know if anyone would be interested in playing on it. But not only have I been blessed with an absolutely incredible team of writers and roleplayers, but you've also taken my tiny idea and created a fantastic world and mythology from it. And I couldn't be more delighted with every one of you and every post you've written so far! Keep up the amazing work!
Welcome to the Levi! We're thrilled to have you aboard this exciting new ship and amongst XFleets finest crew! (Only slightly bias). I'm looking forward to writing with you all and seeing as your characters develop and the Lore that is 'The Leviathan' expands! You are amongst some of the finest writers this fleet has to offer and you are one of them!
“Success is not final. Failure is never fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts” - Winston Churchill
"He who fights monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzche
We can't predict what lies in wait for us on whatever hellhole we get sent to next. All we can do is prepare for every conceivable possibility. And as the first and final line of defence against the creatures that torment this quadrant, we depend on the security team above all others to steer us towards victory.
“Is this going to be a stand-up fight, sir, or another bug hunt?” - PFC William Hudson
The absolute badasses of the ship. But with such high praise comes equal responsibility. You might feel primed to handle anything the universe could possibly throw at you, but believe me, you ain't seen nothing yet.
“Anyone who thinks cryptozoology is the study of the impossible has never really taken a very good look at the so-called 'natural world'.” - Seanan McGuire
Don't cast aside everything you've learned thus far on humanoid anatomy and physiology. The creatures you'll be required to dissect on this ship are no different. They're just a lot bigger. With more teeth. And possibly several more limbs.
"To make this journey we'll need imagination but imagination alone is not enough because the reality of nature is far more wonderous than anything we can imagine." - Neil deGrasse Tyson
The Leviathan is more than just a clean-up crew. Our mission isn't just to wipe up all the crap left behind and then move on. It's also to study and to understand these things that we encounter. For if we can achieve understanding then just maybe we can stop these things before they even have a chance to exist.
"We have the tools, we have the talent!" - Winston Zeddemore
You're the magicians of the crew. It might be down to security to catch these beasts, but once they're back on the ship, it's your job to work out how to contain them. And don't expect everything we bring back on here to be stopped by tritanium walls. You're going to have to get creative with your holding areas.
"We make our own monsters, then fear them for what they show us about ourselves." - Mike Carey & Peter Gross
Only the gods know what effect such dangerous missions will have on the morale of this crew, so it's up to you to take care of them mentally, to make sure their nightmares aren't too traumatic and their shifts not too scarring.
2. Contained Anomalies
|Dave||Darwin||Assimilates those it comes into contact with. Researchers believe it is currently comprised of several different individuals, including a Klingon, a Mugato and a Terran baboon|
|Ullr||Beaufort||A highly concentrated cloud of gas/liquid nitrogen that constantly rains nitrogen 'snow' onto anyone directly underneath it.|
|Andromeda's Tomb||Newton||Artifact that housed the now-deceased Sandman entity. Triggers waking nightmares and dangerous dreamscape conditions in any who come into contact with it.|
3. Anomaly Types
- Type Einstein - Cosmological anomalies (planets, black holes)
- Type Newton - Physical (inert) items (artifacts or objects)
- Type Darwin - Living, biological entities
- Type Curie - Living, non-biological entities
- Type Feynman - Dimensional anomalies and voids
- Type Beaufort - Atmospheric or weather anomalies
4. Anomaly Levels
5. Anomaly Codes
- FPT - Fast Paced Thread - Unlimited posts per player
- MPT - Medium Paced Thread - One post every 1-2 days per player
- SPT - Slow Paced Thread - One post every 3-5 days per player
- LS - Long Story - Several weeks to a couple of months to complete
- ST - Short Tale - Several days to a couple of weeks to complete
The ARU Research Division is the primary authority on the study and management of all anomalies recovered by the RTF. Each ARU vessel is provided a complement of skilled researchers to make up their Research Corps. Responding directly to the CSO of the ship as Department Head and Director of Scientific Facilities, all ARU Researchers are hand-picked from either Starfleet deployments or, in exceptional cases, Academy classes. Each Researcher is skilled not only in their chosen departmental specialty but also in anomaly management and termination procedures.
The ARU Research Corps are organised according to the following hierarchical structure:
- Level 1 - Novel Researcher: Approximately 40% of any Research Corps will be comprosed of researchers at this level. Average rank for a Novel Researcher is Ensign to Lieutenant (junior grade). These individuals make up the front lines of any research activity and will usually experience the most direct contact with the anomaly under study. They are also available to offer support to RTF operations on the ground.
- Level 2 - Senior Researcher: Once a Novel Researcher has survived an average of 3 - 4 years in the Research Corps, they may become eligible for consideration as a Senior Researcher. This level comes with reduced time in the field and reduced direct exposure to any anomalies, instead serving as administrators and mentors for Novel Researchers. Senior Researchers are the key drivers of any research efforts onboard an ARU vessel, in charge of devising and organising the experimental plan and collating and interpreting results. They are also responsible for reporting developments to the relevant Consultant Researcher and the Research Coordinator. In each Research Corps, there will usually be at least one Senior Researcher for each departmental discipline (science, medical, engineering, security).
- Level 3 - Consultant Researcher: Every Research Corps will include 3 or 4 Senior Researchers who are specialised in one particular anomaly level. They are primarily responsible for expanding the current knowledgebase on anomalies of their chosen level, as well as regularly re-evaluating capture and containment methods at that level. They have no direct contact with the anomalies themselves, instead using Novel Researchers for any direct experimentation that might be required. Consultant Researchers for Anomaly Level Yellow must hold a minimum security clearance of ARU-GAMMA-03. Consultant Researchers for Anomaly Level Abell must hold a minimum security clearance of ARU-OMEGA. There are to be no exceptions to this rule.
- Level 4 - Research Coordinator: This individual must hold a minimum clearance level of ARU-GAMMA-03. They are a direct assistant to the Chief Science Officer and all reports from lower level researchers are made through them, with the exception of the Abell-level Consultant, who reports directly to the CSO. They have unlimited access to all blue, green and yellow level anomalies onboard their vessel and are permitted access to Abell level anomalies, but only when accompanied by the Abell-level Consultant. In the event of a catastrophe, the CSO and Research Coordinator are prioritised to abandon ship in an effort to preserve and retain all confidential research data.
- Level 5 - Chief Science Officer: Additional to the traditional Federation duties expected of a Starfleet Chief Science Officer, as part of an ARU vessel, the CSO will also be in charge of the Research Corps. Directly responsible for all research activity onboard the ship, an ARU CSO must therefore hold a minimum clearance level of ARU-OMEGA. They are to report all research progress and results to the Captain and First Officer of the vessel, in line with those individual's own security clearances. They are also directly responsible for coordinating and liaising with the Abell-level Consultant Researcher, bypassing the Research Coordinator for activity at this level only.
ARU Clearance levels are highly compartmentalised, with many details on individual anomalies, particularly Abell-level, witheld from even the higher clearances unless there is an undisputable need to know. Official clearances, however, break down as follows:
|Clearance Level||Average Position||Level of Information|
|ALPHA-02 - ALPHA 05||
|DELTA-01 - DELTA-05||
|GAMMA-01 - GAMMA-05||
Deck 2 - Command Staff Quarters
- CO's hot tub: Regularly commandeered by members of the RTF - much to the Captain's chagrin.
Deck 3 - Main Medical Deck
- Sickbay Alpha: Designated for use by Leviathan crew. Non-anomalous patients only.
- CMO's Office
- Medical Officers Quarters
Deck 4 - Main Science Deck
- Science Lab Alpha: Designated for use in investigation of non-anomalous entites and artifacts only.
- CSO's Office
- Science Officers Quarters
Deck 8 - Lounge
- Jörmungandr (Midgard) Officer Lounge: Features a limited range of non-synthetic alcohol, as provided by Captain Zachariah Cobb.
Deck 11 - Containment Level 1
- Containment Control Centre: Access to real-time audio and video feeds, environmental controls, containment power levels, rapid response quarantine and tactical systems all provided from a circular bank of terminals. To be staffed at all time by at least three Security Officers of rank Ensign or higher and minimum clearance level ARU-DELTA-01.
- Containment Shift Leader's Office: A small, soundproofed space off the main Containment Control Centre area. Primary access restricted to Containment Shift Leader's only (must hold minimum rank of Lieutenant (junior grade) and minimum clearance level ARU-DELTA-05. Office features a secure loop level 1 communication device.
- BLUE Containment Bay 1: For holding Blue (Inert) level anomalies only.
- BLUE Containment Bay 2: For holding Blue (Inert) level anomalies only.
- RTF Barracks
Deck 12 - Containment Level 2
- GREEN Containment Bay 1: For holding Green (Safe) level anomalies only.
- GREEN Containment Bay 2: For holding Green (Safe) level anomalies only.
Deck 13 - Containment Level 3
- YELLOW Containment Bay: For holding Yellow (Dangerous) level anomalies only.
- ABELL Containment Bay: For holding Abell (Lethal) level anomalies only.
- Anomaly Research Facility
- Anomaly Experimentation Facility
- RTF Briefing Rooms
- RTF Lounge
Deck 14 - ARU Training Facilities
- Equipment Bay 1
- Equipment Bay 2
- ARU Research Station Alpha
- ARU Research Station Bravo
- A.A.R.M. Maintenece Bay
- ARU Containment Holosuite Training Facility
Decks 16-18 - Main Engineering
- CE's Office
- Weapons Research and Development
Deck 23 - Bridge and RTF Command
- Main Bridge: Command Information Centre.
- CO's Ready Room
- Conference Room: To be used for non-classified briefings only.
Deck 26 - ARU Utility Deck
- Sickbay Bravo: Anomalous patients only.
- Autopsy and Dissection Lab: Anomalous subjects only. Minimum clearance level ARU-DELTA-01.
- ARU Transporter 1: For transports involving anomalous subjects only.
- ARU Transporter 2: For transports involving anomalous subjects only.
Deck 29 - Main Security Deck
- COS's Office
- Armory: Standard weapons only. Non-RTF use.
- Brig: Non-anomalous subjects only.
- Security Training Holosuite 1.
- Security Training Holosuite 2.
Deck 33 - Counselling Centre
- CNS's Office
- Meditation and Relaxation Rooms: For use by non-anomalous individuals only.
- Command Staff: 3 days
- Department Heads: 5 days
- Junior Officers and Swings: 7 days
Holiday Posting Limits Relaxation: All, just to let you know that the posting limits will be relaxed over the holidays, which means we will not be monitoring any AWOLs, from 21st December 2020 to the 4th January 2021. I hope that this helps you all to have a relaxing break and Happy Holidays!!!
If you ever need an LOA then please let either the CO or XO know
- None at this time
- Officially none at this time, although I am always willing to consider interesting swing ideas.
All DH/JO roles onboard the Leviathan come with the additional option of joining the Recovery Task Force (RTF) or the ARU Research Corps
If you are interested in joining the Leviathan then please contact the CO or XO
MOTD designed by Sharon Miller. Last updated 11 December 2020