STF

Main Sim - Sickbay

Posted May 3, 2021, 9:25 a.m. by Gamemaster Wookius Furrius (Senior Gamemaster) (Gene Gibbs)

Posted by Civilian Vorraye Anders (Diplomatic Attache) in Main Sim - Sickbay

Posted by Captain Alexander Cochrane (Commanding Officer) in Main Sim - Sickbay

Posted by Gamemaster Wookius Furrius (Senior Gamemaster) in Main Sim - Sickbay
Posted by… suppressed (1) by the Post Ghost! 👻

snip

Cochrane could almost feel his ship being drawn closer and closer to planet. Looking from Maree to Tov, he said calmly and sincerely “Then it comes down to trust. Do you trust yourselves to make the next step? Do you trust in your people to do what they feel is right with new knowledge and new perspective? Or do you trust in your traditions and your practice more? Either way has it’s own inherent truths, and I am not here to tell you that you should choose one way or another. But traditions and history are not always the best judge of the future. It comes down to people.. individuals. ” and then he looked at Maree directly. “Do you, the caretakers, trust them -” and he nodded towards Tov, “- the next generation, to know what is best for them and where they will take your species… and the others who are involved in this? Remember, this isn’t a choice about now. It is about your future. And either way you choose, the future remains unknown. But choose you must. And soon.” As if to accentuate his words, the bulkhead behind the group let out a low groan as the pressure on the ship increased.

Cochrane, CO

Ensign Baht had retreated into the background of the sickbay, content to watch with wide eyes. He wasn’t sure he understood exactly what was happening in front of him, but Maree seemed to be the most articulate ‘caretaker’ he had encountered. Still, his previous experiences with the specters on the surface made him wary and he kept his distance. The choice they discussed was an interesting one… and Shon found himself agreeing with Maree. Progress should be made deliberately, with free will and intention. To allow an outside force to so drastically change your culture’s trajectory was to relinquish your own personal autonomy. And autonomy was a principle that the bolians held dear.

(Ensign Baht, Medical)

Pretha’s voice came up once more. “I think that remaining as you are and learning what and who you are may be better than making that sudden change. It seems to me that the awareness that you have to make a choice is also an awareness that there is a decision to be made. And can you honestly move forward without truly understanding where you currently stand? Whether it’s the land or the water or something else, you are divided. And I think learning to live that way first is a wiser choice than leaping blindly into the next situation only to be twice as lost in the next 12000 years.” She sounded lost, confused. How could someone move forward so blindly? To her it made no sense and that came across in her voice.

Pretha
CRIT Ldr

Cochrane looked at Maree and Tov. “Listen to me. This is a monumental choice… for you and your people. My crew and I have no right to tell you what choice to make, nor will we. But you must choose. And the more you debate, the more you drive a wedge between the two of you. But I think both of you are forgetting something most important… this isn’t just about you. Dia… the other entities that arise when you sleep… they are part of this. Your choice affects them as well. And sometimes… you have to decide what is best for the most, not just the one side. And those choices can be frightening. But you cannot let fear win. You have to set it aside. And Second Minister, Mr. Tov… you need to decide now. Look into your hearts and make the best choice for all concerned.” He then tapped his commbadge. =/\= Mr. Wyatt, time to impact please. =/\=

Cochrane, CO

Raye frowned. The choice shouldn’t have to be made under this kind of pressure. She hated that while the Captain wasn’t pushing, per se, it was their ship that was causing them to have to choose so quickly instead of consulting others or taking their time. Other than reiterating that it had to be their choice, she couldn’t think of anything else to say so she merely smiled and patted Tov’s arm. “You both already know the best course. You would have followed it from here out regardless of our arrival and the subsequent actions that have occurred. Trust that choice between you and don’t let its quick need to be voiced change you from your course.” Surely they had in mind what they wanted for their people. They would have been on that course already with the parting of their selves and the worries they voiced when the Manhattan had arrived and questioned about it. They just had to have faith in that path and continue upon it.

Raye
Diplomat

OOC: Pasting in Bridge Response, editing for continuity with roster vacancy.

The OPs Chief’s voice could be heard over the comms. =/\=Just under 4 minutes. =/\= Alex looked at Maree and Tov. “Now is the time. We don’t know how long after the decision is made the effects will take to release the ship, or even if it will… but we have to try. Please… for the sakes of all of our people…”
and then a thought occurred to him. Looking at Maree, he said “Do you want to speak to Dia? Get her perspective? I think she can hear you.”

Cochrane, CO

Maree pursed her lips, hanging on to the edge of the biobed as the ship began shaking. She weathered it well; the feeling was not unlike riding in a ground vehicle which the Gravenians were quite used to. “Tov, how much knowledge have we lost of our lore and history? Does what you know of it include some kind of .. I don’t know, knowledge of what we have chosen in the past? This is a long time to wait for the next one.”

“Aunt, choosing yes doesn’t mean that we can’t find out then. But we need to remember.”

Dia was … gone, having disappeared

Maree shook her head. “It is utterly against my better judgment to leap without looking.” She touched Tov’s shoulder. “I am willing to take a step, but we need to take steps to not repeat this issue. That will be on you and your generation.”

She turned to the Captain. “I’m willing to say yes.”
- Maree and Tov

Cochrane nodded once and said “As you say, Minister.” and he turned his head to the side. =/\= Away Team, this is the Captain. The Gravien delegation has chosen yes to move forward. Make the choice immediately. I repeat. The answer for the Gravien people is ‘Yes’. Confirm, Away Team. =/\=

Cochrane, CO

Jack looked pensively around the room. He was hopeful this path was a good one, looking over at Jasmine then back to the CO he did feel a knot. She had been worried of outcomes like this but it was risks these people wanted.

Creed, XO

=/\= Understood, Sir =/\= Naim replied promptly. Turning her head towards Williams and her voice still audible over the com, she said, “Now it’s your turn, Ensign, to say that the answer is yes. That the Gravians want to make the change.” She felt some of the tension leave her body. Despite the fact that the danger was far from over for all of them and that they had no idea what was actually going to happen once Williams said ‘Yes’.

~Lt. Naim, CSO

Shon thought back to his night in the hospital researching some of the historical records of the Gravien people. He remembered finding accounts of sudden and massive death and destruction, events that happened seemingly without reason. He hoped beyond hope that the mysterious disasters had not been caused by people who made a similar choice to the one the Graviens were making now. If this choice did lead to some sort of crucible, he prayed that it would be a purely philosophical or emotional one, rather than a full-blown catastrophe.

(Ensign Baht, Medical)

Raye let out a breath she hadn’t realized she was holding. The decision was made. Now the question was, was it in time?. Glancing at Maree and Tov, she smiled. “You have made a good choice. I think you will do fine since it is what you desire.” She had an idea, if they survived. Glancing at the Captain, she doubted he would like it. But it would cover several of the points that had arisen in the last couple days.

Raye
Diplomat

What felt like an eternity the ship suddenly jerked forward, then settled, the shuddering dying down.
Tov and Maree looked at one another. “Is that it?” Tov asked. Maree .. shrugged.
They each looked at the Captain.
Wookiee

“Wait here. I’m going to the Bridge.” Cochrane said to their questioning glances, and he stood up and ran for the turbo lift. Entering, he said “Bridge.” and the lift sped away.

Cochrane, CO

Raye watched him depart and smiled lightly. “I think we are going to be ok. And, given what has occurred, I believe you all will be just as fine as well.” She smiled warmly to the others. Whether the decision was a good or bad one probably wouldn’t be known till next time they were faced with the decision. But right now, she could feel the tension in the room start to ease and hoped it wasn’t just because they weren’t plummeting to their demise. “I have something I would like to discuss with you both if you will hear me out for just a moment,” she glanced around as the rest of the medical staff seemed to sense the tightness of the ship lessen and began to move about again instead of holding proverbial breaths waiting for the crash.

Raye
Diplomat

The next minutes were a strained, blind waiting as the ship careened toward the world, then, suddenly, the shaking stopped and the ship smoothed out. Maree, the Second Minister’s face was static, tight, holding on to her nephew’s hand. When the ship settled, she said to Raye, “I must apologize on behalf of our government. This was entirely unanticipated. We did not mean to drag you into more than a dull set of meetings and look at a few tedious concerns that we had.”
- Maree


Posts on USS Manhattan

In topic

Posted since


© 1991-2021 STF. Terms of Service

Version 1.12.5